Des works with lawyers in private practice, in-house lawyers, and other professional service organisations – and with a wide variety of people within them.
He has helped clients by advising on strategic and structural issues; supporting project implementations (e.g. the setting up of a law-firm panel); running retreats and away-days; designing and delivering development centres; and creating and delivering bespoke leadership and management development programmes at senior level.
Des is a trained business-coach and provides coaching and mentoring for managing partners, sector and department heads, and other individuals especially those taking on new leadership roles or leading significant projects.
Career and education background
- Sherwood member since 2001
- Barclays Bank Group Legal, Projects and Operations Director (1999-2001)
- Managing Partner, Biddle (now part of Pinsent Masons) (1995-99)
- Finance Partner, Biddle (1993-98)
- Chairman, Disciplinary Tribunal, Chartered Institute of Taxation (1994)
- Meyler Campbell Psychology for Coaches programme (April-May 2006)
- Accredited in Goleman Emotional Intelligence assessment instrument (2006)
- Accredited to administer Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) (2005)
- Meyler Campbell Advanced Business Coach programme (2004)
- Tutor / lecturer on MBA in Legal Practice, Nottingham Law School (2001-2004)
- MBA in Legal Practice, Nottingham Law School (1998)
- FTII (Fellow, Chartered Institute of Taxation) (1993)
- ATII (Associate, Chartered Institute of Taxation) (1983)
- Solicitor (1982)
- PGCE (Certificate in Education), Christ’s College, Cambridge (1976)
- MA, Christ’s College, Cambridge (1975)
Food and wine, and conversations with friends – preferably all at the same time.